NATIONAL ARCHIVES WEEK: TEN REASONS TO CELEBRATE
* Our national archival heritage is held safe in many hands, providing us with the resources that we need when we reckon with the past, try to understand the present and plan for or imagine the future.
* The passionate and hardworking archivists who do their best to preserve and promote our archival heritage even though they often work under very difficult circumstances.
* Records managers who work to keep the records of government safe so that they can be used by the state and civil society and honour the constitutional commitment to transparent and accountable governance.
* Active citizens who use records to hold government to account â€“ as citizens in a democratic state should.
* The officials who process Promotion of Access to Information (PAIA) requests promptly to honour the constitutional promise of freedom of access to information.
* Archive activists who collect and preserve the resources that complement the records of government and fill the gaps in the historical record.
* Individuals and families who hold the records of their personal pasts safe for future generations.
* Universities who make a significant but often unacknowledged contribution in building our national archival heritage.
* Museums and libraries, though often not thought of as archives, who hold collections that people can draw on to understand the past.
* The positive signs that tell us that government is beginning to take responsibility for ensuring that the national archival system is adequately resourced and capacitated to meet its important mandates!